How to Wear Vintage Clothing in a Modern World
Vintage clothing is a wonderful way to show your love of decades past. Wearing it gives you a unique one-of-a-kind look but if you aren’t careful you could end up looking like you’re headed to a costume party. Here are some of my tips for looking current while wearing vintage.
• Don’t dress in head to toe vintage. Keep it simple by wearing only one or two pieces per outfit.
• Dress for your body type. Particular decades are best for certain figures. If you’re pear shaped try a circle skirt or if you want to show of your curves go for a pencil skirt. Both were popular silhouettes in the 1950s. If your legs are your greatest asset then a 1960s miniskirt is for you. Finally, a look that works on almost any shape is the 1970s wrap dress made famous by Diane von Furstenberg.
• Mix your vintage pieces with modern. For example you could wear a 1950s dress and pair it with contemporary shoes and a handbag.
• Incorporate clothing from the fashion era that best matches your personal style.
• Keep your makeup and hair current.